Sunday, July 14, 2013

Made it and Day 1

I'm thankful to inform you that this entry is being written from inside our Delhi hotel! Yay! I will try to be more detailed on the blog and I'm putting quick snippets on facebook! Take your pick.

We made it here about 2:30am Sunday morning Delhi time. Our flights went smoothly with no delays, thank you for praying! For my Germany people I loved connecting there! It brought back a flood of memories from our years living there:) I saw a tshirt that said I "heart" Germany that I plan to pick up on the way back through! Right away we saw workers in bright shades of teal green and airport employees zooming around on bicycles. Loved it. We boarded on time and the flight was 7 hours into Delhi (9 from Atlanta to Germany). I was like a caged animal that last hour before touching down in Delhi! Of course Todd was sawing logs and I was wide eyed just staring at that tiny airplane (on the screen in front of you tracking the trip) as it flies over country after country! Obviously I realized we were flying to the literal other side of the world but then to sit on an airplane long enough to do so is another story entirely:)

Customs wasn't as scary or chaotic as I had envisioned. The custom agent was kind and they were moving folks through very efficiently. Our agency doesn't have the man power to set up your trip (details like hotels and cars) but we are so thankful for our amazing guide Abhi and friends who have gone before us or live here in other areas currently. Abhi arranged for hotel pick up and there was a kind gentlemen waiting as we came out of baggage claim. He got a kick out of the fact that I brought an empty suitcase. Shopping? Isn't that obvious! You allot me two free bags and despite the fact that I filled both of mine of course Todd did not:) In my defense and entire suitcase was filled with American candy and treats for the orphanage workers, children and street children. I also packed lots of crafts to do with Shaunti or leave at the orphanage.  Calculate the number of anti-bacterial wipes, bug spray etc. I won't be bringing any of that back so good news for family and friends...plenty of space for goodies!

From the customs agent to the hotel staff everyone has been extremely friendly. Since we arrive early morning hours we were able to go right to sleep and didn't wake until 11am. I consider that a full nights sleep! We had an American lunch in our room and we are now waiting for Abhi to arrive so we can do some sight-seeing.

The weather feels a lot like southeast MS or Columbus, GA, ha! HUMID and HOT. Muggy is a good word. I can't wait to get out there and get a feel for the real India. I'm overwhelmed by it all. I can't believe we will be with Shaunti this time tomorrow. As we made our decent into Delhi the reality of it all hit me. We are HERE! It's a glorious day indeed. We are so thankful for your prayers. Please pray for safety and health (we both have colds, nothing major, just annoying). Mainly pray for our time tomorrow with Shaunti. We will be with her this time tomorrow! TOMORROW! Pray for her heart to be prepared along with our own. We are so confident in God's timing and know we will need His endurance to press on. 

I read this verse the morning we were getting ready to leave. While I don't claim to be using this verse perfectly in context I will ask our scholarly friends to excuse the application but it hit my heart in an unexpected way: Ephesians 4: 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need." Now in the context of this verse I think it's referring to literal stealing of goods or property and literally making a paycheck. As it applies to my own life I'm applying this in a spiritual and emotional sense. I have been taking in and being poured into from many angles. Y'all have prayed for us, educated us, cried with us, and on and on. I've been focused very much on myself and surviving emotionally until we could get here (ask Todd:)! This verse challenges and reminds me to take all that has been stored up along this journey and turn it outward to Shaunti along with others we may encounter this week. Remember that the gospel is not to be held tightly but to be a light in darkness, it's a guide, it's hope. The gospel motivates us to give and serve because He first loved us and paid the ultimate ransom. Praying that knowledge goes before me this week. 

A little about Day 1...
Today we enjoyed seeing Delhi mostly by car and going to the market. The amount of people is overwhelming just as they say. Our guide said the population is about 10 times that of NYC! We managed to stay up all day and even got to face-time with the kids. Now we are off to bed to prepare for the big day!! Can't wait for you to wake up to pictures of Shaunti. Soon people!!!!
Love and Thanks!
G and T

3 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for some details! I can't stop thinking about y'all. We prayed for you at church this morning and I thought I was going to burst in tears when they put sweet Shaunti's picture on the screen. I love the thought of you pouring out all that has been poured in inuring the wait into her little life. AND I CAN NOT WAIT FOR YOUR NEXT UPDATE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm determined to be detailed because I remember the anticipation of waiting for updates from you and all who have gone before me! :) We will update when we get back from our visit!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm do overcome with emotion right now! Love you and we are praying for your time with Shaunti in just a few short hours! I might not be able to sleep tonight!!
    Thank you for the details, keep em coming!
    Love
    Hollie

    ReplyDelete