Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Perfectly Facebook Life

I originally wrote and posted this back on June 15 then removed it because I'm not sure why. Anyway after today's sermon it's back up!


Todd and I have been cautious fans of blogging. They can unintentionally (or intentionally) paint an unrealistic picture of someone's life. I see Facebook much the same. I'm a guilty participant so I'm writing this to clean my slate and speak up about this before we get Shaunti home and the crap really hits the fan! We will go from gazing at that sweet face to living with her in the flesh! I will have a 7, 5 and 4 year old. Need I say more?

I love FB. After being in the military for 11 years we have friends scattered across the globe! I have a love-hate relationship with it though. Those who know me hear me rant then I post a picture! Total hypocrite. I despise it one second, can't stop scrolling and posting the next! People annoy me then make me laugh! It triggers my multiple personalities.

Recently our pastor (who is on FB) reminded us that we are only seeing one side of the story on Facebook. We see perfectly manicured smiles, cheerful kids and projects or trips galore. Where are: the meltdowns? The hair that hasn't been washed in two days? The family that's driving each other bonkers? The credit card statement? The pain or suffering? Occasionally you will have that brutally honest person or the person who decides to go passive/aggressive on someone and leaves us all confused and curious--don't do this, call your sister/brother/aunt/uncle/mama whatever-don't blast them on FB!  On the flip side, we can humbly share our prayer needs on FB knowing someone is going to see it instantly and pray. Let's be honest though, it's rare that we put a shout out saying: I'm struggling with sin. HELP!  If you're the exception to the rule, OK I get it, but overall let's say it's rare.

I've been thinking of this in light of my FB account! This week alone I posted pics of my daughter hosting a fundraiser that she envisioned. Her heart was so genuine in this pursuit and she worked diligently. We are so so proud of her! I wanted y'all to see! She's an amazing compassionate child and we are beyond humbled to be her parents as we watch God work in her life. Of course it's rare that I share her faults. I fail to mention how I spoke harshly to her tonight after she talked back to me. As it concerns the adoption, I haven't posted a status update in a psalmist-like tone: God why are you silent!??!

Hear this! I'm not calling for reform. I don't think Facebook needs to be a place of confession and intensity, it's suppose to be fun after all. I'm not asking you spill your guts, really. I guess the point I'm making is to beware of seeing a coin from one side only (good or bad).

I'm not saying the smiles you see on FB aren't genuine. I'm genuinely proud of my daughter! I'm genuinely excited about adoption. I'm genuinely thankful for my hubby. I'm genuinely happy and pumped about life! Especially a life where every situation and moment has the potential to point me toward the gospel. A life the reminds me that Christ humbled himself and paid the price for my sin and failure so I might be in a right relationship with God. I don't doubt that your smiles are genuine as well. I'm just saying: the pictures you see on Facebook aren't it, that's not all. Y'all I'm struggling like the rest of us. There are days I'm not thriving but surviving up-in-here (those who know me know it)! I think of folks like our pastor or church family, those trusted friends and family who live among us. Wow, they still choose to come around?! Humbling:)

As we approach Shaunti's homecoming I think of the impression you will get from our one-sided Facebook world and will do my best to be candid here on the blog about our prayer needs and obstacles. The smiles will be OH SO GENUINE but please don't forget we will be adjusting big time.

In closing, see the moments on FB as good and joyful but remember that behind each of us there are needs, unfinished projects, things we are sorting out, sin we are battling, hopes and dreams we are dreaming, disappointments we are mourning, teeth that need brushing, floors that need mopping...you get the point.

So consider this my Facebook caveat as we move into this new phase of our adoption--hopefully a homecoming very soon! YES! This week we heard that the police clearance is done and this tends to be the longest part in the passport process. We should hear something any day now. Please keep praying for negative TB tests!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment